Saturday, November 30, 2013

Because of Ellison




When I was nineteen years old, I lived for sex, drugs and a good party. I had it all - good looks, a fast car and a hot girlfriend. Nothing in life was more important.

That was, until I met Ellison James….

Since the moment I first saw her she was a raging bull; tackling me in the mud and throwing out insults as fast as her tongue could form the sound.

She was snarky
She was rude
And she pissed me off like no other woman could.

I lived beside her for a summer and in the three months that I walked by her side...

She opened my eyes
She changed my life
And she made me a better man
 
 
here's the GR link
 
 
Excerpt #1 - 
 
I inched closer to her and noticed the bed dip as she moved to sit beside me. “El…right now, you’re obviously hurting and I’m not going to let you hurt alone. You say what you need to say. Pretend I’m not here. Pretend there’s nothing to hear you. I’ll take whatever load you can’t bear and I’ll carry it out of this room when I leave. But dammit, I’m not going to leave you here alone to bear it by yourself. So cry or scream or hit me. You do whatever you need to do. We’ll keep the lights off. You won’t see me, but I’m here for you to use me. Just talk El – don’t think of me as poor pathetic Hunter who needs to straighten out his shit. Just think of me as a way to let go of everything that’s hurting you.” I paused but quietly added, “You’ve been taking care of me since I’ve been here, El; please, for once – just let me take care of you.”
 
Excerpt #2 - 
 
I approached Ellison and we stood nose to nose and chest to chest because I’d walked up so close. She craned her neck to look up at me and I raised my hands to smooth down her arms. But I couldn’t touch her. I held my hands at her shoulders and I looked down at her longingly, but I just couldn’t push past the thin, invisible force that seemed to surround her. I didn’t want to be like Finn. I didn’t want to push myself on her when she was already upset about something else. It wasn’t fair to her. The energy from her body brushed across my palms and I felt twisted up inside because I couldn’t actually touch her.

She blinked slowly and the blue was shining in contrast with her red-rimmed eyes. I could smell the beer on her and she swayed slightly. “Please don’t, Hunter. Please don’t make this harder.” Her voice was a breathy whisper and I closed my eyes in reaction to it. I wanted to do more than touch her. I wanted to sweep her up in my arms and cradle her to me. I wanted to hold her until all the pain and worry left her body. I wanted to tell her I’d take care of her, I’d cherish her, I’d…that, in reality, I’d end up leaving her.

I’d never felt pain before like I did at that moment. It tore at me. Physical pain shot through my body and my chest tightened. But I pulled my hands back to myself. I protected her heart by not touching her.

For once, I was trying not to be the selfish bastard I knew I was.
 
 
Author Bio:
M.S. Willis is a romance novelist whose debut novel, Control, was released in 2013.  Although currently writing in the romance genre, Willis has plans to expand her literary pursuits into multiple genres and has no fear conquering difficult subject matters in her writing.  Willis is a native Floridian who is also a photographer and musician.  When not absorbing herself in written, visual or musical expression, Willis is an adrenaline junkie, a ‘closet’ video game enthusiast, and an avid outdoors person and nature lover.
Visit M.S. Willis on her author page:  www.facebook.com/mswillisbooks
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment